Tech Convergence Will Spur Demand for New ADAS Technology

Some background about me...



I've been telling everyone I meet about Microvision and their amazing scanned beam technology for a couple of years now. I first learned about the company while researching next-generation display technology back in 1999. I had stumbled onto Universal Display (PANL) and bought some shares -- someone on a PANL message board somewhere mentioned MVIS. I checked it out and thought it was pretty cool. My recollection from that time was that it was something that would be used in surgery to help doctors. Pretty neat, but what I was looking to invest in was basically the replacement for cathode ray tubes -- LCDs failed to impress me. So I kind of forgot about it for a while.



The next year I got my hands on a copy of Ray Kurzweil's book 'The Age of Spiritual Machines'. This book definitely changed my life in a dramatic way. (get this book) I started to look at the world differently -- just waiting and watching the world as it unfolded eerily enough just like the book described it would. Among other technologies, he mentioned Microvision and their retinal scanning display technology. He wrote that the technology would be in widespread mainstream use by the year 2009.



So far I think we're right on schedule.



Suffice it to say, I've been buying shares for the last couple years with whatever bread I could put together. (My wife has been very understanding! Thanks, sweetie!)



As far as my goals with regard to the stock of the company, even though I watch the trading closely day to day, I do not plan to sell any shares anytime soon. I am thinking really big here. Having seen Yahoo and Qualcomm and Amazon and Ebay go berserk on the Nasdaq and thinking, 'why didn't I get some of that', it quickly occurred to me that I could -- it would just have to be the next Yahoo, QCOM, Ebay, etc.



Looking back at the histories of Dell Computer, Microsoft, Oracle and the other 'blue chip' technology companies, it took about 14 years for the company to achieve Large Cap status. According to Ray Kurzweil's Law of Accelerating Returns, (which states that as innovations pile up on one another, the speed at which we can innovate further increases dramatically), time is essentially collapsing. So I see the end of this decade, 2009 to have MVIS in Large Cap Territory.



Basically the only bottleneck for the company at the present time are the cost of light sources. But that is a whole 'nother post....

Comments