Tech Convergence Will Spur Demand for New ADAS Technology

New User Interfaces...



I saw this post on Intel's Developer Blog called "Death of the Mouse?" and it got me thinking:

At CES something caught me, I found it very difficult to find a computer mouse. Not that I wanted one, but as I went from booth to booth, demo to demo, the mouse was like an unwanted dinner guest, nobody told it to come. Game controllers, remote controllers, touch devices, and track pads were are there, but mouse was a no show. I was even tempted to create a contest... "find a mouse at CES"

I don't think this is by accident. CES shows off the latest and greatest technology. It's a window into our future and when it comes down to it, I don't think the mouse has much of a future, on ANY device. Will today's toddlers grow up and see old screencast videos from YouTube with a strange arrow that moves across a computer screen and wonder, "what the heck is that?"


One of the things that got me interested in MicroVision so many years ago was the idea that the user interfaces of computers felt to me to be kind of archaic. Big CRT monitors, computer mice, keyboards, it was all just so clunky. Now, apart from the monitors getting thinner, not too much has changed in the basic operating of a computer. But it's evident from the wild success of iPhone-type devices that touchscreen interfaces can provide most all of the functionality a user could need, and can even offer up new types of interactivity (pinching, stretching, zooming, flicking, etc).

Now what happens when we introduce pico projectors not just as a medium for displaying information, but as a method for interactivity? Here are some of my favorite ideas:





Comments