Tech Convergence Will Spur Demand for New ADAS Technology

Heya



Hey everyone,

Wanted to pop my head up and say 'hi'. Sorry for the lack of updates this week...I've been basically going 'supernova' for the last few weeks at work, which doesn't leave much time for updating this here blog. Three years and counting I've been writing MVIS Blog...a lot has changed over those three years, both in my life and at the company -- and at the intersection of the two.

One thing that I can tell you is that I feel a sense of validation (not in arrogant way, but in a 'quietly confident' way) about the ideas that I've put forward about augmented reality, and about Microvision's role in how the story will play out. Certainly, the recent comments about the inevitability of augmented reality coming from the Metaverse Roadmap Summit serve as more confirmation that my ideas have been on the money. The Metaverse Roadmap participants include leaders from Google, Yahoo!, Microsoft, Sony, as well as Harvard, Stanford, etc.

Earlier this week, I spoke with John Smart, the President of the Accelerating Studies Foundation, who set up the Metaverse Roadmap group, and he informed me that the Roadmap Summit participants had discussed Microvision extensively and had arrived at the conclusion that patent control for the key enabling technology for AR was under the control of Microvision alone. The group expressed some skepticism that Microvision was working hard enough to commercialize scanned beam technology for AR applications, and were concerned that AR itself may be held up by, rather than enabled by, Microvision's patent portfolio.

This definitely surprised me, but thinking about it now, I can understand how people could have that impression. Since we divested from Nomad, we haven't had a replacement wearable display product in the market. Our Color Eyewear development activities have been under-the-radar, especially in contrast to our higher profile PicoP and automotive display programs.

I was happy to have the opportunity to speak with John and share with him the progress that we've made, both on full color systems, as well as on miniaturization of the display engine, and of course the Eyewear development program. John encouraged us to participate in next year's Metaverse Roadmap Summit, which was great, and I'm sure we will.

I want to assure everyone who's following augmented reality that Microvision is working hard every day to bring into being the vision of AR that I've described extensively here on MVIS Blog -- a vision that's shared with leading technology innovators from around the world. The vision of the Eyewear team at Microvision is to change the world in a fundamental way by transforming mobile visual communication. Every day when I get up and come to work, I'm driven by that vision. And I know that it's inspiring for me and the rest of the team to consider just how powerful the impact of what we're doing could end up being. Stick with me and I'll keep you updated on an ongoing basis...!

Comments

  1. "And I know that it's inspiring for me and the rest of the team to consider just how powerful the impact of what we're doing could end up being".
    I would only change one thing. Replace that word could, with will!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Ben,

    Specifically, which patents might he be talking about?

    Thanks,
    Howard O.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "The Metaverse Roadmap participants include leaders from Google, Yahoo!, Microsoft, Sony, as well as Harvard, Stanford, etc".
    "Roadmap Summit participants had discussed Microvision extensively and had arrived at the conclusion that patent control for the key enabling technology for AR was under the control of Microvision alone".

    Ben,
    I would say that this is absolute validation of the IP possessed by microvision, not to mention this is the technology that you had the foresight to see, understand, and evangelize for years. We should all feel very confident that you are managing this effort.

    Best post I have seen yet!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment